Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Glenn Update #1

Well, today has gone much more quickly than I had imagined it would, and I haven't posted any updates yet! First thing's first: Owen is out of surgery and doing fine. We have not yet gotten to see him, but according to the surgeon everything went as expected and he remains stable. They are doing a chest X-ray now, and if that is clear then we will get to go back and see him. Should be within 45 minutes.

Now for the longer version of today: We brought Owen in to St. Vincent at 6am. He was grouchy this morning, but who wouldn't be after waking up at 5am?? He was such a trooper through having his blood pressure taken and saturations read. The nurses took him back to the OR at around 7:15. Surgery itself got underway at 9:10. We had an update at 10:30 that things were going smoothly, and then we had another at 11:45 saying they were wrapping up! Like I said, this morning went quickly. We grabbed some lunch and headed up to the PICU waiting room. Our surgeon has been in to talk to us and seems to think everything went well. We're just waiting to get back and see him. Mark's parents and sisters are here waiting with us. We are a little nervous, because as the OR nurse said, the next 24-48 hours will probably be a roller coaster. But mostly we remain calm and thankful for the enormous blessings that have been given to us: that Owen has been stable for so long, that he has come through surgery this morning so well, and that we have had six glorious months with him already. These gifts are ours through the grace of God. Thank you so much for all of your prayers. I will update again once we have seen Owen. That is, if I can tear myself away from his side long enough! =)

3 comments:

The Simmons Family said...

Oh my goodness... I totally forgot that Owen had his Glenn today!! I am so thrilled to hear that it went down without any "surprises" and that he is doing well. I'll pray for a speedy recovery so that you can all be home again soon!!!

Andrea

Jen said...

So glad to hear that things are going so well! I hope everything progresses as needed, and he has as quick of a recovery as he can! Love you guys! Thanks so much for letting us know!

Erika said...

Yay! Go Owen! I'm so glad that things are going so well! I will keep praying for healing and strength for all of you.

Hugs!!!
-Erika :)